MRA is an association of four turf clubs, three of which are in Malaysia namely Penang Turf Club, Perak Turf Club, Selangor Turf Club and the fourth is in Singapore namely Singapore Turf Club. The Straits Racing Association (SRA) was formed in 1896 to regulate horse racing in Singapore and Malaysia and oversee the interests of the four turf clubs. The SRA was renamed the Malayan Racing Association (MRA) in 1961.
MRA’s objective is to promote the interests of horse racing in Singapore and Malaysia through the uniformity of its Rules of Racing which are applied fairly and firmly and to ensure that the spirit and professionalism of the Sport of Kings are upheld. MRA is unique as it is the only racing authority regulating racing in two different countries. MRA promulgates the rules of racing, sets the racing calendar, registers horses and horse owners, licenses trainers, jockeys and other racing personnel for the two countries.
The Association is managed by a committee comprising delegates nominated by the four associated Clubs. The Committee Members, officials and racing fraternity from both countries work in close collaboration. The Executive body of the MRA is made up of 13 delegates nominated annually by the four associated Clubs. For 2008, the delegates are:
Penang Turf Club - three delegates and they are:
Ybhg Dato Ong Eng Khuan DSPN
Mr John Alexander Rodgers PKT
Mr Oon Chong Kie
Perak Turf Club ?three delegates and they are:
- Ybhg Dato Cheah Choon King DPMP
Ybhg Dato Terry Lee Pang Lay DPMP
Ybhg Dato Gregory Wong Guang Seng DPMP
Selangor Turf Club - three delegates and they are:
YAM Tunku Dato Seri Shahabuddin DK SPTJ AO (Australia)
Ybhg Datuk Richard Cham Hak Lim DMSM
Dr Chan Lam Kong
Singapore Turf Club ?four delegates and they are:
Mr Tan Guong Ching
Mr Tan Soo Kiang
Mr Kwah Thiam Hock
Prof Leong Siew Meng
Since 1994, one representative each from the Singapore and Malaysian Totalisator Boards has been included as ex-officio member of the MRA Committee.
|Chief Executive Officer
||Mr Yu Pang Fey
||Mr Kaka Singh Dhaliwal
||Mr Lau Kian Heng
|Chief Handicapper (Malaysia)
|| Ms Rosalind Lim Cheng Im
|Vice President (Racing), SNTC
|| Mr Michael Donald Wanklin
|Chief Stipendiary Steward (Malaysia)
|| Mr David Hugh McGillivray
|Chief Stipendiary Steward (Singapore)
|| Mr Peter James Chadwick
Click to view the MRA Organisation Structure in pdf format.
HISTORY OF MRA
Horse racing was introduced in Singapore and Malaya by the British in 1802. On 4th October 1842, the first racing club to be established was the Singapore Sporting Club, later to be renamed the Singapore Turf Club in 1924.
Racing clubs in Malaysia were established later, with the Penang Turf Club first to be set up in 1864, followed by the Perak Turf Club in 1895 and Selangor Turf Club in 1896.
MILESTONES OF MRA
- 1896 - Straits Racing Association was established to co-ordinate and regulate horse racing in Singapore and Malaya.
- 1921 - First Penang Gold Cup.
- 1924 - First Singapore Gold Cup.
- 1926 - Perak Turf Club moved to its present premise in Ipoh.
- 1933 - Singapore Turf Club moved to Bukit Timah.
- 1939 - Penang Turf Club moved to Batu Gantong. First Selangor Gold Cup.
- 1945 - Racing resumed in Penang Turf Club with Grand Victory Meeting at Batu Gantong after the war.
- 1961 - Straits Racing Association renamed Malayan Racing Association in 1961. Betting at the four turf clubs in MRA circuit was allowed and regulated under the Racing (Totalisator Board) Act in 1961.
- 1972 - Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and their Royal Highnesses, Prince Philip and Princess Anne visited Bukit Timah racecourse.
- 1976 - The totalisator was computerised.
- 1979 - A new computerised sell-pay system was introduced.
- 1982 - Computerised telephone betting was launched to replace the manual system.
- 1983 - Launch of closed-circuit television coverage to link all clubs on the MRA circuit.
- 1987 - Installation of a central computerised betting system linking Selangor, Penang and Perak Turf Clubs.
- 1988 - Introduction of MRA cup.
- 1993 - Selangor Turf Club moved to new racecourse in Sungei Besi.
- 1999 - Cross-border racing was stopped due to the outbreak of the Nipah virus in Malaysia, thus ceasing the free movement of horses between Singapore and Malaysia.
- 1999 - Singapore Turf Club moved to new racecourse in Kranji. Twilight racing begins.
- 2000 - First running of Singapore Airlines International Cup. Yang Di Pertua Negeri Gold Cup became first million-ringgit race in Malaysia.
- 2002 - Singapore Airlines International Cup was included in the World Series Racing Championship.
- 2002 - Yang Di Pertua Negeri Gold Cup stakes increased to RM1.3 million.
- 2005 - The inaugural MRA Awards Night which is the “Oscars?of local racing was organized to recognize Champion horse owners, trainers, jockeys and thoroughbreds in Malaysia and Singapore.
- 2005 - Resumption of cross-border racing between Singapore Turf Club and Penang Turf Club during the September Sprint Trophy Meeting.
- 2006 - Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and his Royal Highness, The Duke of Edinburgh visited Singapore Turf Club to witness the running of the Queen Elizabeth II Cup.
- 2006 - MRA celebrated its 110th Anniversary.
- 2006 - Usage of mobile phones was permitted in Singapore Turf Club and the three Malaysian Turf Clubs.
- 2007 - New MRA Rules and Regulations came into effect on 1 January 2007.
- 2007 - First reciprocal race established between the MRA and the Jockey Club of Turkey.
PENANG TURF CLUB
Founded in 1864, the Penang Turf Club is also the oldest of the three turf clubs in Malaysia.
The early Penang racecourse was situated along Macalister road from 1869 until 1939 when it moved to its new premises at Batu Gantong.
The sleek and modern three-storey grandstand gives an unobstructed view of the racing action. In 1978, an Extension was built adjacent to the existing grandstand, bringing the Club’s capacity to 14,000.
Located on its 270 acre site, the racetrack is 1,900-metre long and 24-metre wide and is turfed.
Today, the Penang Turf Club is the only racecourse equipped with an 18-hole golf course, with seven of the holes within the infield area.
Website link to Penang Turf Club: www.penangturfclub.com
PERAK TURF CLUB
The Perak Turf Club has its beginnings going as far back as 1886 when its first meeting was held at the then State capital, Taiping. Its course was regarded as the cradle of racing in the then Malaya.
The Ipoh Gymkhana Club started in February 1913 on the new course in Ipoh, which became the main centre of racing in this state.
In 1926, the Perak Turf Club officially came into existence at its present premises at Racecourse Jalan Tambun. In 1971, the Perak Turf Club was equipped with a brand new grandstand which can accommodate up to 15,000 racing fans. Activities of the club were extended into sports and community projects at State and national levels.
The racetrack is 1,800-metre long and 21-metre wide and is turfed with cow grass. Training and barrier trials are also conducted on a sand track.
SELANGOR TURF CLUB
The Selangor Turf Club traces its beginnings to the efforts of a group of amateur racing enthusiasts, mainly British officers in the late 1800’s, to establish a venue for their recreational activities.
By then, Kuala Lumpur had become the capital of the state of Selangor, during which time was founded the Selangor Turf Club.
Race meetings were by far among the most popular and cosmopolitan attractions of the time. In 1896, the Selangor Turf Club moved to Jalan Ampang (now the famous KLCC Twin Towers), and it was not until 1992 that it relocated to a brand new state-of-the-art racecourse in Sungei Besi.
The new Turf Club is now equipped with upscale racing facilities and can accommodate up to 25,000 racing fans.
The racetrack is 2,000-metre long and 30-metre wide, left-handed and is turfed with patented grass-El-Toro Zoysia. Its greatest asset is the double home bends with the unique gradients which help to reduce significantly the centrifugal force acting on the horses and allow for exciting finishes when the horses come through the home bend to the finishing line.
Website link for Selangor Turf Club: www.selangorturfclub.com
SINGAPORE TURF CLUB
Formed in 1842, the Singapore Turf Club, then known as the Singapore Sporting Club, is the oldest Club in Singapore.
The first race meeting was held in early 1843 with the inaugural race called the Singapore Cup, which was worth a paltry $150.
In 1924, the Singapore Sporting Club changed its name to the Singapore Turf Club. The Bukit Timah racecourse was completed in 1933 and was then regarded as the finest in the East.
Construction works on the new Singapore Racecourse at Kranji commenced in 1995, and the jewel in the crown of Singapore racing was completed four years later. One of its breakthrough features was the state-of-the-art lighting which allowed for night racing.
The architectural centrepiece of the racecourse is the Grandstand with its unique roof structure inspired by the graceful and powerful image of a horse in motion. Comprising two public viewing levels, Club level for the horse owners, social racegoers, young professionals and international visitors and also a Corporate level consisting of corporate boxes which are available for rental. The Grandstand offers full-height glassed, column-free view of the races, and has a capacity of about 30,000 race-goers.
The left-handed oval-shaped, sand-based racetrack is 2,000-metre long and 31-metre wide, and turfed with patented grass-El-Toro Zoysia. The 1,500-metre long Polytrack is also regularly used for racing in addition to training.
Website link for Singapore Turf Club: www.turfclub.com.sg
Print this Page E-mail This Page